This online course is created specifically for Buddhist teachers and senior students of all lineages who reside in Europe.
Course Dates: March 1-April 2, 2021
Roshi Amy Tu Es Cela Hollowell and Sensei Michel Plein Ciel Oltheten
Hemera Foundation is sponsoring scholarships for those who aren't able to register due to financial limitations. Information and Application available here.
Over the five weeks of the course, through forum discussions, weekly assignments, video curriculum and lectures, you will gain and share knowledge and resources needed to understand the fundamentals and best practices around healthy and appropriate boundaries in spiritual teacher/student relationship. These include the impact of appropriate vs. inappropriate boundaries in promoting effective teaching; the impact of misconduct on spiritual communities; and guidelines for developing appropriate boundaries and necessary self-care strategies.
Weekly feedback between the instructors and students, along with online discussions with fellow classmates, provides each student with an interactive and enriching learning environment.
This updated course offers new material and three live online group discussions with the instructors via Zoom.
- The online meetings will take place on March 1, March 15, April 2 at 8:30am PT/ 5:30 pm CET.
Who Should Take This Course:
This course was created for those in positions of leadership/authority and who act as spiritual teachers or advisors to people in their community.
- You have received formal authorization or transmission in your Buddhist lineage to teach the Dharma; OR
- You teach under the auspices of a senior/authorized teacher, (i.e. people look to you for spiritual guidance and education); OR
- You hold a position of spiritual authority or leadership within your sangha/community (i.e. you teach meditation, give practice advice and Dharma talks)
As a result of this course, participants will:
- Establish an informed and ethical foundation for an understanding of healthy boundaries
- Understand the importance of an awareness of power and vulnerability within teaching relationships
- Examine dating, friendships and dual relationships and the challenges therein
- Examine transference and touch boundaries in teaching relationships
- Consider best practices of responding to misconduct by spiritual teachers
- Consider the importance of self-care and peer support as preventive measures
The course consists of an initial live session during Week I and then five consecutive weeks of sessions that can be viewed on-demand self-paced, and a final writing assignment:
Fees and Registration: $285.00 USD
Because international shipping has become less reliable, we will not be sending the required text Sex and the Spiritual Teacher by Scott Edelstein. Students will be responsible for purchasing this book independently. It is available as an e-book on Amazon in Europe.
We have discounted the registration fee so participants can buy the book.
Registration Refund Information: We will refund your registration fee if your plans change, however we require the following processing fees:
Two weeks before the start of class: $25 non-refundable administrative fee
Less than two weeks before the start of class: $125 non-refundable administrative fee
If you are applying for a Hemera Foundation scholarship, please DO NOT register on this page. Email us at Learning@FaithTrustInstitute.org so we can reserve a spot during the application process.