The course is full. If you would like to be added to a Wait List in case of cancellations, please email learning@FaithTrustInstitute.org
This online course is created specifically for Buddhist teachers and senior students.
October 7-November 9, 2019
Roshis Susan Myoyu Andersen, Jan Chozen Bays, and Joan Hogetsu Hoeberichts
The course begins on October 7 and concludes with the last assignment due November 9. Weekly feedback between the instructors and students, along with online discussions with fellow classmates provide each student with an interactive and enriching learning environment.
Through the forum topic discussion, weekly assignments, video curriculum and lectures, you will gain and share knowledge and resources needed to understand the fundamentals and best practices around healthy and appropriate boundaries in spiritual teacher/student relationship; the impact of appropriate vs. inappropriate boundaries in promoting effective teaching; and guidelines for developing appropriate boundaries and necessary self-care strategies.
This updated course offers new material and several live online group discussions with the instructors via Zoom.
As a result of this course, participants will:
- Establish an informed and ethical foundation for an understanding of healthy boundaries
- Understand the importance of an awareness of power and vulnerability within teaching relationships
- Examine dating, friendships and dual relationships and the challenges therein
- Examine transference and touch boundaries in teaching relationships
- Consider best practices of responding to misconduct by spiritual teachers
- Consider the importance of self-care and peer support as preventive measures
The course consists of an initial live session during Week I and then five consecutive weeks of sessions that can be viewed on-demand self-paced, and a final writing assignment:
Week I: Introduction; Boundary Violations
Week II: Power, Abuse of Power, Transference, and Vulnerability
Week III: Clergy Sexual Misconduct
Week IV: Impact on Victims and Sanghas
Week V: Prevention & Self-Care
Fees and Registration: $300.00 USD
Scholarships are available for White Plum members who require financial assistance. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Those who receive a scholarship will need to register by contacting FaithTrust Institute at Learning@FaithTrustInstitute.org rather than this online registration site.