Course dates: April 19-May 21, 2021
Course Instructors: Rev. Lydia Mulkey and Lauren Sawyer, M.A.
NOTE: If you are registering on behalf of someone else, please leave a message on the checkout page with the student's name, email address, and contact information so they receive emails and the course books.
This five-week course allows participants to examine the complex roles and situations of ministry in a thoughtful, reflective way.
Description: This course will equip clergy and spiritual teachers to understand the importance of healthy boundaries in ministry and to critically discern the complexities of boundaries in pastoral relationships.
Weekly feedback between the instructor and students, along with online discussions with fellow classmates, provide each student with an interactive and enriching learning environment.
Through the forum topic discussion, weekly assignments, video curriculum and lectures, you will gain and share knowledge and resources needed to understand the fundamentals and best practices around healthy and appropriate boundaries in spiritual teacher/student relationship; the impact of appropriate vs. inappropriate boundaries in promoting effective teaching; and guidelines for developing appropriate boundaries and necessary self-care strategies.
Required Curriculum (included):
- Healthy Boundaries 101 - Fundamentals Course Workbook by Rev. Dr. Marie Fortune
As a result of this course, participants will:
- Establish an informed and ethical foundation for an understanding of healthy boundaries
- Understand the importance of an awareness of power and vulnerability within teaching relationships
- Examine dating, friendships and dual relationships and the challenges therein
- Examine transference and touch boundaries in teaching relationships
- Consider the importance of self-care and peer support as preventive measures
Participants who complete the course satisfactorily will receive a certificate of course completion.
Who Should Participate? This course is recommended for:
- Pastor or Associate Pastor
- Pastoral Counselor
- Faith or Spiritual Leader
- Child/Youth Pastor, Teacher, or Leader
- Denominational or Judicatory Leader who oversees pastors
Course Structure: The course consists of an initial live session during Week I and then five consecutive weeks of sessions that can be viewed on-demand self-paced, and a final writing assignment:
Week 1: Power, Vulnerability, and Healthy Boundaries
Week 2: Dating, Friendships and Dual Relationships
Week 3: Transference and Touch Boundaries
Week 4: Emerging Issues in Maintaining Healthy Boundaries; Personal Needs and Self Care
Week 5: Responding to Misconduct: Best Practices (NEW TOPIC!)
This course fulfills the Healthy Boundaries training requirement for many denominations. Please check with your judicatory if you have questions.
Registration refund Information: We will refund your registration fee if your plans change, however we require the following processing fees:
- Before April 1: $25 non-refundable administrative fee
- After April 1: $125 non-refundable administrative fee