This class is full. To be added to a waitlist, please email email@example.com.
The next class will be scheduled for early fall, 2021. To be notified of future classes, please complete the form at the bottom of this page. Thank you for your interest!
Roshi Susan Myoyu Andersen, Patrick Bansho Green, Roshi Jan Chozen Bays
Hemera Foundation is sponsoring scholarships for those who aren't able to register due to financial limitations. Information and Application available here.
NOTE: If you are applying for a Hemera Foundation scholarship, please DO NOT register on this page. Email us so we can reserve a spot during the application process. EMAIL: Learning@FaithTrustInstitute.org.
Over the five weeks of the course, through forum discussions, weekly assignments, video curriculum and lectures, you will gain and share knowledge and resources needed to understand the fundamentals and best practices around healthy and appropriate boundaries in spiritual teacher/student relationship. These include the impact of appropriate vs. inappropriate boundaries in promoting effective teaching; the impact of misconduct on spiritual communities; and guidelines for developing appropriate boundaries and necessary self-care strategies.
Weekly feedback between the instructors and students, along with online discussions with fellow classmates, provides each student with an interactive and enriching learning environment.
This updated course offers new material and three live online group discussions with the instructors via Zoom. The online meetings will take place on May 17, May 31, and June 18 at 8:30 am PT/ 11:30 am ET.
The conversations will be recorded for students who can't attend the live sessions.
Who Should Take This Course:
This course was created for those in positions of leadership/authority and who act as spiritual teachers or advisors to people in their community.
- You have received formal authorization or transmission in your Buddhist lineage to teach the Dharma; OR
- You have students of your own and you teach independently; OR
- You teach under the auspices of a senior/authorized teacher, (i.e. people look to you for spiritual guidance and education); OR
- You hold a position of spiritual authority or leadership within your sangha/ community (i.e. you teach meditation, give practice advice, and Dharma talks)
As a result of this course, participants will:
- Establish an informed and ethical foundation for an understanding of healthy boundaries
- Understand the importance of an awareness of power and vulnerability within teaching relationships
- Examine dating, friendships and dual relationships and the challenges therein
- Examine transference and touch boundaries in teaching relationships
- Consider best practices of responding to misconduct by spiritual teachers
- Consider the importance of self-care and peer support as preventive measures
Please note that the topics in the course can be challenging, particularly for those who have experienced abuse or misconduct within their spiritual communities. We strongly recommend that all participants have a strong support system.
The course consists of an initial live session during Week I and then five consecutive weeks of sessions that can be viewed on-demand self-paced, and a final writing assignment:
Week I: Introduction; Boundary Violations
Week II: Power, Abuse of Power, Transference, and Vulnerability
Week III: Clergy Sexual Misconduct
Week IV: Impact on Victims and Sanghas
Week V: Prevention & Self-Care
Fees and Registration: $300.00 USD
Registration refund Information: We will refund your registration fee if your plans change, however we require the following processing fees:
- Two weeks before the start of class: $25 non-refundable administrative fee
- Less than two weeks before the start of class: $125 non-refundable administrative fee
NOTE: If you are registering on behalf of someone else, please leave a message on the checkout page with the student's name, email address, and contact information so they receive emails and the course books.
If you are applying for a Hemera Foundation scholarship, please DO NOT register on this page. Email us at Learning@FaithTrustInstitute.org so we can reserve a spot during the application process.